Monday, September 17, 2007

Roseola

It seems a really obvious at this point. I wasn't sure until the rash had all but disappeared this morning, but it's clear now. Brooks' cold two weeks ago, the 102~ fever last week, and the little tiny red rash on his tummy and face this weekend were all related - roseola. For his first childhood illness, it was pretty mild and I'm so thankful for that. It seemed hard enough on him when he wasn't feeling well. And it wasn't all that fun for us either - I'm starting to understand why parents have been know to do crazy things to keep their kids happy, healthy, and alive.

While researching roseola, I read online that most of the mother's antibodies will have "worn off" of newborns by the time they're 4 to 6 months old, but no mention was made of breast-feeding or bottle-feeding affecting the length of that window... I had previously heard that nursing might extend the time for those "protective antibodies". Anyone heard or read anything about this? Just curious...

No matter what he eats, I know that Brooks is occasionally going to get sick. It's just so sad when he's whimpering and I can see in his eyes "Mommy, make it better"... good thing Children's Tylenol brings down a fever so quickly.

Here are a couple recent pictures of him... showing off his cute new faces. Forgive the leftover food bits - it was just after supper - but he's getting so much more expressive, it just cracks me up! He's obviously feeling better (this was between the fever ending and the rash beginning).



Okay, um, seriously, are you doing that just to make me smile...?




Well, okay maybe it is a LITTLE funny...

6 comments:

LWB said...

Glad he's on the up and up. Elise has had this once or twice and the first time I *rushed* her to the pediatrician's office, worrying about the crazy rash and fever thing. I guess it was a first time mom thing, but some women in our courtyard all said "oh yeah, roseola" when I described what happened. We'll become veterns of childhood illness, I'm sure of it.
I hope you can find a good doc there for Brooks. I know how important little things like that are for settling in.

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Leftover food bits?! My children sometimes have more leftover food on them than that *before* they start eating! Brooks must be a very neat eater. I'm glad he's feeling better. Any illness, no matter how small, seems all-consuming when it's happening to your baby.

Looking forward to reading about more adventures!

Anonymous said...

Colleen in my office really fusses at us when she sees photos of him eating. She wants us to let him feed himself so that he can smear food all over himself and especially the high chair tray.

I can't see the food bits. But I can see how sick he is. Poor little...

debchastain said...

hey!!! for some reason my email put your email in my spam folder, so i quickly reprimanded it by telling it anything from SCBWheeler is NOT spam :0) i am so glad to hear from you and i think that your realty experience is an excellent match for monty python but probably not very funny to be experiencing. praying that you'll get an amazing place! brooks is so stinkin' cute! erin is well, but i am sick-101 with advil in the system. trying not to breathe on her too much. its pretty pitiful. looking forward to hearing more and glad brooks is feeling better! love you!

debchastain said...

Just read all the way down-yeah on the new place!! the post about God providing that place was not on the first page, so i just kept going back and saw it. i'm so very excited for you all and am very excited about coming and using that aerobed at some point :0) love you!

Anonymous said...

What a BABE, that Brooks!!!! Squeeze, squeeze to him and love to you! More later from me... ~Tina