Monday, September 10, 2007

Church in London

Last Sunday, we'd been home less than 24 hours and we decided to take a stroll in the evening, just to give ourselves a break from unpacking and laundry and settling in from Paris. We loaded Brooks up in the stroller and set off to get some fresh air. As always when exploring here, we took our A to Z map (this place is a labyrinth, it's a necessity to have a good map!) We stopped at one point to check our progress and I realized while looking at the map that we were within sight of Holy Trinity Brompton, a church that several folks had recommended in central London. We decided to go see if the church was open, and lo and behold, they were just beginning their casual 5pm service. Perfect, we decided! We'd just drop in.

I can't tell you the feeling that I had as we participated in that service. We ended up in the balcony as the church was already pretty full and by the time we were getting settled in with Brooks, they were in the middle of worship. Amazing to witness a group of believers in another country lift hands and voices up to God! The worship sets included Agnus Dei, Blessed Be Your Name, and several other familiar songs that seemed chosen just for me. This song in particular struck me anew and I felt God wrap His arms around me as we sang...

Blessed be Your Name when the sun's shining down on me,

When the world's all as it should be, Blessed be Your Name.

Blessed be Your Name when the road's marked with suffering

When there's pain in the offering, Blessed be Your Name.


Every blessing You pour out, I'll turn back to praise
.
And when the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say...

Blessed be the Name of the Lord, Blessed be Your Name

Blessed be the Name of the Lord, Blessed be Your Glorious Name


The sermon was great as well, the pastor was talking about the faith of the centurion (Matt 8:5-13). He talked about 1) his knowledge or understanding of authority - basically, that God has all the authority, not Rome, 2) his skill of faith - I had never thought of faith as a "skill" but he talked about developing it through practice and that he comes not fully-formed but grows over time... interesting idea, and 3) his attitude of humility - here was a man who was used to being obeyed, to being followed, but he humbled himself before Christ and asked God to meet his needs, and God did.

That was the basic content of the sermon, but the context was even better - the "start of a new term". He talked about the fact that many of us are beginning anew in the fall - with a new school year, a new ministry year. Many of us are taking on new challenges and opportunities and God doesn't want us to merely survive (hmm, is he talking to us?) We should have expectations higher than that, that we could flourish and be met by God and used by God during this season. Not that we would just hold our breath until the holidays (such a temptation) but to look for ways for God to direct us. It seemed that he was saying that God might have plans for us - even in these circumstances, even during this transition time.

I was so glad to celebrate communion though we had some trouble figuring out where to go (we were standing up in the back by that point). But again, it was so great to do with another group of believers. And at the end of the service, the pastor called people forward to be prayed for... both those who are taking on new challenges at the start of this "new term" and those who are gripped with fear. I felt like both were me! Eric went forward to request prayer for all of us (as I was wrangling a squirmy Brooks by that point) and an older gentleman with white hair asked "how can I pray for you, son?" - I think meant the world to him to have an "elder" pray for him. I had a great encounter with Miles, one of the greeters in the lobby, who made friends with Brooks and we chatted about his own 8 month old son.

I'm so glad that we decided to go last week even at the last moment. We were feeling lonely and thwarted and frightened and alienated, but God met us there and seemed to say, I know you, I haven't forgotten about you, I will meet all your needs in My time - that was exactly the message we needed to hear before the challenges of last week. Eric and I both left feeling very full and grateful that God directed us there.

Yesterday, we went back to the same church. We went in the morning to take advantage of theie creche (nursery). Unfortunately, it was more than a little chaotic as it was "Vision Sunday" - there was a LOT going on. But we eventually got Brooks settled, got seats together in the main sanctuary and were able to participate in the service. Afterwards we went to the tent outside with a sort of "ministry fair", and found out about their Pastorates (which I think are a bit like our small groups), a mid-week Tots and Toddlers group for me, some theology classes the church offers, and a Worship welcome night (I've already missed getting to sing and/or lead worship!). Eric was a bit discouraged that the kids ministry table pressed him to volunteer in the creche and that he didn't find much in the way of justice ministry, but I'm not sure that's all that unusual.

I think we'll go back again but maybe also try a couple of other congregations before we settle in. It will be easier to plug into a church when we know where we're going to live. Our major prayer request is unchanged - Lord, please lead us to a home, both the brick and mortar kind and the spiritual and relational kind!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Church last Sunday was truly providential. We so needed to hear that we are not alone, that God loves us and cares about us, and that He wants us to use this time in London for His Glory rather than wasting it or just trying to survive the long stretches between houseguests from home and visits to the states.

Thank you, God.

Anonymous said...

Holy Trinity Brompton was my home church, as you know, and I LOVED it!! SO glad you found it. A favorite Sunday brunch spot - French cuisine - is across the street, towards Harrod's, right next to a newsstand (where I bought my supply of magazines). There's also a great Charity Shop right there with used books in the basement - great selection! ~Tina

Anonymous said...

SC-Thanks for sharing. This is an encouragement to me! ~lindsay