We arrived late Thursday afternoon, so Eric put Brooks down for a nap and I gathered the makings of a Paris picnic on Rue Cler (a pedestrian street with lots of market shops, cafes and bakeries - it's always my home base in Paris). We picnicked in our room while Brooks snoozed and the sun set outside. What fun to realize we could see the Eiffel Tower from our window! That evening, we strolled down the Rue Cler with Brooks and discussed the London housing options that we had seen the day before. Friday morning we stepped out and got caffe et pain aux chocolat - delicious pastries with chocolate bars baked inside. Then off to the Ile de la Cite for Rick Steve's (gotta love Rick!) self-guided Historic Paris walk through Notre Dame, Ile St Louis (a yummy stop for take-away crepes and glacee - French gelato, so much better than American ice cream!), the old Latin Quarter, St Chapelle, and Pont Neuf. Brooks did great in his stroller and charmed locals and fellow travelers as he practiced clapping and waving to them. He even caught a few winks on the move. Eric and I got good practice navigating his stroller on the many steps of the Metro - which is not as hard as some might believe. That night we had a yummy French supper and even then, Brooks cooperated beautifully. We ended the day with a visit to the sparkley Eiffel Tower and a slow stroll home. Hurray for four years!
In front of Notre Dame...
And behind Notre Dame (yep, Brooks is asleep!)
Happy Anniversary to us!
So glad we're married! (Is Brooks a trooper, or what?!)
Saturday was a great day as well - we got up and packed our bags, then got breakfast on Rue Cler before heading to the Musee D'Orsay to check out the world's greatest Impressionist collection. Then we strolled through the Tuilleries Gardens, to Place de la Concorde where Eric got very excited about a really fancy car that we saw parked in front of the Crillon hotel. He guessed that the owner's name started with Prince or Sultan. With what appeared to be more than a million dollars worth of upgrades, he felt confident that it wouldn't be street legal in the US. We finished the afternoon by continuing up the Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe. So much history on his street! And so much beauty! What a gorgeous day!!
Check out the license plate
"I will Triumph!"
Perhaps one of the biggest joys of living in London will be how close everything is - Paris is just a quick 2.5 hour train trip from Waterloo station. Maybe that's why this trip was so peaceful. We knew we didn't have to see everything, because we'll be back soon!
Mom - I took these pictures because they reminded me of four years ago... THIS is what I was going for with the whole candles thing ... It was such fun to realize that the pictures in my mind were from Notre Dame!! I think we did well, huh? Note, the candle stands all are wrought iron. :)
Darlin - we've had countless adventures in the last four years and I'm so pleased that we're just getting started! I love you so much, thanks for taking me to Paris!!
9 comments:
Great photos! Sounds like a memorable anniversary. So happy that you are together and sharing these wonderful experiences. Love to all three of you. BLW
I think the candles in Notre Dame were perhaps my favorite photos -- how lovely for you to recognize that your trips there as a single woman (with no "Henry"-->Eric as yet in sight) were the germination for such glorious realization at y'all's wedding.
Hope to go sometime with you -- but can we skip the Impressionists (except Van Gogh)? :)
9 is sleeping in... !?!
What am I in for...
4 years! I can't believe it. Sierra was Meaghan's age now at your wedding. How fast time flies. We are happy for you guys.
What a memorable anniversary celebration! So glad Brooks did well and that your sight-seeing was relaxing. Congrats on 4 years! S. sends her birthday buddy greetings from the U.S.!
Oh yes, Westy, just you wait. But don't worry, it's worth it... you'll just have a different perspective on sleep in a few days! :)
Shel, I thought the same. What a joy to be back there, realizing that, with him, on our anniversary. It was perfect.
Thanks for the good wishes, friends. We miss you!
wow, everything sounded amazing! so glad you guys were able to get some R&R in before Eric starts his job. happy 4 to you!
What does the license plate say? I can't read it! What kind of car is that...besides being pimped out.
Oh, SC! I so miss Rue Cler and just hearing you talk about Paris brings back so many great memories!! Eat some Gelatto for me:) I remember going up into our hotel room at Rue Cler and throwing open the window and looking out into the road and just being so excited!! I also remember you dancing behind Notre Dame because we crossed a bridge and saw a man playing music in the street. You said "Finally! Music in the street!" I hope you have lots of fun adventures over there with your family!
Post a Comment