Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Observations from "London Life" Day #2

A Tube strike shuts down London. We've just passed the 24 hour mark of a 72 hour strike and it seems that the city is just all out of sorts. Eric had figured out a great plan-B for how to get to work this morning but ended up having to walk most of the way there as all the buses on his route were full and not accepting more passengers. I can't even imagine the stress! And on his first day in the office, too! Geez.

There are large supermarkets here, and not just the equivalent of a 7-11... Brooks and I found one today after a long stroll - it was so comforting to see things from home there - Tropicana OJ, Sunmaid raisins, Hellman's mayo, Pantene shampoo, even Brooks' same brand of diapers. It took us three hours to go to the store - an hour's walk each way and then a slow crawl down the aisles, trying to find things I recognized. Some funny things I noticed? an entire row of various teas, another section labeled "sweet biscuits". Nice. Everything in the produce section is prepackaged and lists the country the item was grown in - green beans from Tanzania, that sort of thing. I tried not to go into sticker shock from the prices, but at least I can find things for us to eat... very very good feeling, especially since...

Brooks' stock of baby food is dwindling. We brought an entire suitcase of food for Brooks with us when we came over, so that we'd have enough for our trips as well as some for a few days in London - time just to get the lay of the land before having to figure out what to feed him. Unfortunately, Gerber is not a brand that I saw today! I bought all sorts of produce though and plan to put our handy food mill to the test tomorrow. I think I can probably give him more table food than I have, but it's a bit daunting especially as we don't have a high chair in our temp housing... Brooks eats most meals strapped into his stroller, just so he doesn't squirm away as we're feeding him. But he needs to be feeding himself, so we'll need to figure out something.

And we also need to figure out where we're going to live. Our first choice flat just got rented out from underneath us... bummer. I'm praying that God has something in mind that's just not yet available. Lord, help us find it!

Finally, it would be very easy for me to not talk to anyone here. Today, I've spoken to Eric, Brooks, and our realtor. People on the street aren't all that chatty. I will need to work at building some relationships soon.

Wow! Even as I typed that last sentence, I got a skype phone call from Donna, our staff liason for newlymarrieds and our pastor's wife. What a wonderful treat! Thanks for the call, it makes Chicago feel so much closer to home!!

I'm going to get started on supper so that it's ready whenever Eric actually arrives... more later

2 comments:

hayumbone said...

If you all end up doing all that walking constantly, you'll definitely be in good shape. I hate to think of Eric hoofing it in his dress shoes -- that sounds awful.

I'm so sorry about the flat. Want to hear more details about what that's been like!

Anonymous said...

hi loves, thought you might like a little dr. kiki action from the labor and delivery floor here in boston: all the ladies say hi. :) I MISS YOU!!!! have you started cutting the crusts off your bread yet?? do cucumber and egg salad sandwiches seem ever-more appealing now?? have you said anything like "how rude!" or begun calling people "tossas??" the world is not the same with you so far away. i'll call soon. xoxoxo