The highlight of the day was the annual Thanksgiving Day Service for Americans in London at St Paul's Cathedral. It's hosted by several American congregations in the city and I sang in the choir at this service 10 years ago, so it was fun to take Eric and Brooks back for it. The enormous church was packed, the readings were great, the hymns were exactly what I would have chosen (Come ye Thankful People Come, We Gather Together, and America the Beautiful among others). The charity that they had chosen to support this year was IJM UK - a ministry that's very close to our hearts. Brooks made it through 85% of the service before getting tired of sitting quiet and still and eating his Cheerios. I scooted out with him to a side aisle for the last few minutes.
After the service, we feasted at the Old Bell pub in "the City" (the square mile center of London, sort of like Chicago's Loop) - it's the place where Eric and some of his co-workers have gone out for a group lunch a few times. It was the perfect pub atmosphere, and Brooks napped in his stroller while we sat by the fire and enjoyed our sausage and mash plates "Toad in the Hole" style.
When we finished lunch, Eric zipped back to work, and Brooks and I returned to St Paul's to browse through the gift shop and wander through the crypt museum. It was nice to be out and about with Brooks and absolutely no agenda.
After St. Paul's, Brooks and I caught a bus and rambled through the center of town, heading down High Holborn to Oxford Street to stroll through the shopping district. Oxford Street feels sort of like Chicago's Michigan Avenue with lights and Christmas decorations up everywhere, and PEOPLE - lots of people. No actual Christmas shopping for us, but Brooks was just about done by that point, so after I got a cup of hot chocolate we headed home.
Honestly, the afternoon and evening were hard. I think Brooks was aware of my exhaustion and sadness and the fact that I missed my family. He seemed to be asking "so where are all those other great people? I want my playmates back!!" I'm afraid that maybe we've spoiled him with constant interaction and fun for the last month, and now that we're just the two of us again, he's easily bored with me. We played with his new piano (a birthday gift) and the blocks and boxes which are current favorites, but he was a bit fussy all afternoon. He ate some supper, had a bath, read some stories, and then screamed his head off when it was time to go to sleep. Perhaps there is some separation anxiety happening - apparently this is the time for it. I'm not sure what's going on with him. Maybe he's just out of sorts, too...
Eric didn't get home until after 11:00pm. We had agreed that our pub lunch was going to be our special meal for the day, and since he was out of the office for several hours for the service, he decided to just stay and get his work done. I probably should have taken the opportunity to go to bed early, but I didn't, choosing to wait up til he got home. As soon as he walked in the door, Brooks woke up crying again. After he was finally back down, and after we had supper (toast and eggs for me, pb&honey for Eric and a bowl of ice cream), and done a few chores, we turned in - it was after 1:00am.
A strange thanksgiving, with not a single bite of turkey... but I did have moments of thankfulness. Not a typical holiday at all, but I'm pleased that the morning was so meaningful.
I spent some time thinking of family and friends, where you were, what you were doing to celebrate Thanksgiving Day. I missed you all and hope that each of you are well. Drop me a line and let me know how you celebrated.
Hugs from this side of the Pond...
2 comments:
Sarah Catherine, thank you so much for writing of your and Eric's and Brook's adventures and routines! Kelin and I had a great Thanksgiving with my parents in Colorado (Christmas will be with her parents in Ohio). My parents asked me to plan and cook the meal (they bought the food), and I decided on a mostly Alton Brown Thanksgiving... Honey-Brined-Smoked Turkey is the best turkey I've ever had in my life (and expect to have). Kelin made some great ginger-cranberry sauce, and my mom made a few pies (apple, pumpkin, and rhubarb custard), and my brother-in-law made a pumpkin pie and a lactose-free sweet potato pie! There was also green been caserole, stuffed acorn squash, garlic mashed potatoes, sausage dressing, and buttermilk biscuits... We were full and satisfied! I got to see my nieces (1.5 and 3.5 years old), too. They DO grow up fast! Kelin and I have started dreaming and planning for our Italian vacation next fall, which will probably focus on Tuscany. We can't wait! We're looking forward to see your pictures. And our biggest news... we acquired a South American Water Turtle. Having a turtle makes owning a dog a more attractive prospect... :)
Have a great week!
- Carl and Kelin
Did Eric set up a timer or did someone take your picture?
Post a Comment