Friday, November 30, 2007

A Second Secondment?

For the second time in as many months, a partner suggested to Eric today that we consider taking a second overseas assignment once our time in London is up. Instead of moving back to Chicago, they've asked him to consider packing up and going on to the next European city....

The proposal is intriguing and flattering, but one that we're likely to pass on. We miss home. Or better said, we miss all of you. Another assignment would likely require a year of language study and two more years of work, all in another place where we don't have any community. Five years away from home seems like we'd have transitioned to "permanent ex-pat" status... or at least to approach that.

I don't want this life for our family forever. This two-year adventure is great, but neither of us desires to be an executive nomad. A second secondment? No thanks.

At least... that's our answer for today.

5 comments:

LWB said...

I think Shel would die if you stayed away that long!! :) I am impressed that you would even do one assignment! My dear hubby is always tossing ideas out to which I get very wide eyed and shake my head no! Perhaps he should just come live with you and get it out of his system. :)

oxoxo

Anonymous said...

Well it would stink to have you gone that long, but wouldn't you be curious to see where they would place you? What if Angel Baby learned to speak French or Spanish. (He seems to communicate well enough with Italians....) What is Sissy learned to speak something other than English? Hhhmmmm?!

Maybe you are just shy and have a hard time talking to people....

Liz M said...

I agree that it would be really hard to be away from family for that long. "The Grandparents" in our families would never allow it! :)

Anonymous said...

I second that second secondment! Please come home. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey...what about a secondment in Nashville? That's practically a foreign country compared to Chicago!?