Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A visit to Ashford - 23 Sept 07

Last Sunday Eric, Brooks and I went to Ashford, England to visit the Wilson family whom we know from Park. At Waterloo station, we bumped into Joe and Denise Durkin who were on the tail end of their month long honeymoon and were headed to the same place. What fun to hear about their wedding and travel adventures as we rode the train down together.

Keith Wilson is the head pastor of Ashford Community Church, a small congregation in a charming little village just a few minutes from the Thames. We all enjoyed the members’ warm greetings - I particularly appreciated all the doting on Brooks. I also noticed that the average age seemed to be several decades older than Park’s! Keith did a great job leading the service, including engaging with the young people and bringing his family up on stage to lead the congregation in a new song. Brooks played happily in the crèche and we all stayed for the social hour afterwards and met some of the congregation.

After church, we walked around the church to the parsonage next door to hang out with Keith, Caroline, and their family for the afternoon. What fun!! It was great to see their home and their four kids who have grown up so much in the last couple of years. Brooks napped on the floor of Jesse and Luke’s room (surrounded by Cubs décor, and laying on a Cubs blanket – awesome!) while we gathered around the table and ate and talked about Park, and Ashford, and business, and family, and education, and the difference in the life in the US and UK… Cag makes fantastic “puddings” (the English word for any sort of dessert) and I savored every minute and each bite.

I also loved our stroll along the Thames with Keith, Cag, Abby and Sampson (their beautiful, sweet, enormous “puppy”) later that afternoon and the chance for more conversation. Eric and Keith discussed ministry while Cag and I talked about family life and how both families are adjusting to the UK. She had some great tips for shopping and bargain hunting in London (hurray!) And just hearing a few snip-its of her own challenges was such a privilege.

It’s quite obvious that most of their family would prefer to be in the states again (they all miss Chicago very much!). Understanding their collective and individual struggles as they settle back in UK life somehow soothed me as we headed back into London that evening. Perhaps simply considering other people’s challenges was good perspective. But more than that… there was a real joy in their house despite some very intense - but thwarted – longings. I loved watching how the whole family related to each other and I thought several times – I hope my kids are this helpful, kind, articulate, engaging... The desires for their circumstances to change were real, but the healthy family interactions were, too.

Once again, it was a gift to see their family in action and the entire visit was just so good for my heart! Thanks again, Wilsons!



Jesse and Brooks talk some baseball ...



I couldn't get over how grown up Abby was?!? Wow!



I hope we can see you again soon!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Great photos of your travels, and what a huge treat for you to visit friends from Park.