Tonight we saw this movie for the first time.
It tells an inspiring story of the passionate evangelical Christian William Wilberforce, the man primarily responsible for the abolition of the British slave trade in the 1830s. His dedication and conviction and vision were all at the heart of the movie (along with a TON of parliamentary details), but I was really struck by one thing. He gave himself entirely away to what he believed in. He spent so many years fighting this freedom battle, he faced so much opposition and endured so many disappointments, yet he did not give up. He kept fighting and kept pushing.
I want to be a person of that kind of courage. And I want to raise children who will take on the wrongs of their society with the same sense of purpose. And I want to support and encourage my husband's efforts to change the world as God calls him. I don't want a boring comfortable existence but want to live a life of meaning.
Eric and I have wondered aloud at times if this stint in London is just the prologue for another story, one of the first steps to moving out of our place of comfort and convenience and following His lead. I wonder...
As of right now, we believe our calling is to make our home here for a few years and to invest in this little family of ours. But I trust that the Lord will continue to speak to us and show us where He wants us to go. May we always be willing, no matter what the cost.
Saturday, October 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have heard that this was a good movie, plus it has the hottie from Horatio Hornblower in it! That alone is enough reason to go see it. :)
Post a Comment