Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Home sweet home

I promised pictures of our new flat in London. Even though I feel like it's not yet "finished", it's certainly close enough for a little tour. So, come on in...

It's a long and skinny unit, so I'll walk you through from the front windows to the back rather than from the entrance.

I love the view from our front windows. It looks out of the private park on our block. We are still awaiting keys for the park gate, but we certainly enjoy looking at it until we have access!



The front room, facing the street is the "reception" which what the Brits call their living rooms. It's an old building so it has the original ornate ceiling trim, a dainty chandelier with a huge medallion, and marble fireplace surround. The kitchen is tucked into one corner and the dining room takes up the other wall.









You might not notice it in the pictures at first, but one of my favorite features of this house is the door to the kitchen. During the day, I'll often shut that door and Brooks has a hey day exploring - just in this room! I'll work in the kitchen or catch up with things online and not wonder what he's up to out of sight! :) Perfect!

Just past the kitchen is a small foyer that leads to the master bedroom, our front door and the long hall to the rest of the unit... The foyer has a floor to ceiling mirror which Brooks particularly enjoys. Here's the view looking towards the front of the building.



Our bedroom sits just beyond the kitchen, and it's very comfortable.







Note, the wardrobe picture is from BEFORE our shipment from the states arrived. Just imagine adding 9 boxes of clothes and accessories to that space... yeah, right! So, moving on, this is our front door, across from the foyer mirror.



The phone is the front door buzzer so guests can ring us to let them in.



The front door leads to the building's entry hall and then right outside, only just a few stairs and we're off in the stroller - hurray!!

Now here's the rest of the unit... From the front door looking back down the hall towards the bathrooms and second bedroom.



The first door (with the robe on it) leads to the shower room. It's about the size of an airplane bathroom, but it's quite functional and has great water pressure!



Next is the bathroom, which is Brooks' favorite room in the house.





Just past the bathroom is the second bedroom, currently Brooks' room, but easily converted to a cozy guest room with a little bit of notice (hint, hint!) It's a bit dark because he was napping while I was snapping pictures...





Leaving Brooks' room, we're back in the hallway, looking towards the front door. Just in front of us is the bookcase that our landlady loaned us. She was so pleased because she found an Ikea bookcase that fit perfectly in this spot.



Here's the view of the bookcase from the bathroom door



Did you notice an incredible lack of closets on your tour? That's right, because the place only has one! The under-stairs closet holds everything - a "tidy rail" of coats, the vacuum cleaner, the drying rack, iron and ironing board, my guitar, the stroller when not in use, some off season clothes, a bit of luggage, plus all the stuff we wish we hadn't brought with us when we moved here. I'm so very grateful for this space, because without it I'm sure I'd never feel like things were "put away".





So that's our home! Thanks for praying with us about it as we were searching. I feel so fortunate to be here, and consider it a gift! Next up will be some pictures of how our family actually LIVES IN the place! :)

7 comments:

LWB said...

Love the place! It's very modern, which I don't know I am surprised, it is England afterall. The kitchen is great! I hope you settle in quickly. It will be nice to have the boxes disappear!

SheWesty said...

thanks for the tour... very cute, and i'm sure you'll only continue to make it cuter. love keeping up with you guys! ly, s

Anonymous said...

SC, it looks like an ADORABLE home! I imagined something small like you get in NYC, but that's big! You look all settled in and it's cozy. I can't wait to see it!

Anonymous said...

that anonymous comment is from Beth. I don't know why it made me anonymous!

The McKays said...

oh, it's so beautiful! i love the ornate details around the chandelier. and how fun that Brooks has many great places to play. the bathroom is lovely, looks like it belongs in a swanky hotel to me. :) you are making it your own and i'm glad you are finally settled in.

hayumbone said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Seeing how you are making this place *yours* while you're there is fun -- the squishy chair in Brooks's room, the bathrobes, your photos. The architectural details are great.

Now, you mentioned items you wished you had left behind after all -- out of curiosity, what are they?

And did you find Harry when you opened up the door leading to the closet under the stairs? (Sorry, sorry -- that was so lame, but I couldn't resist.)

Padgetts said...

thanks for the tour...it looks great. I love knowing where and what your place looks like. I wish that Tim and I could come visit. Hugs to the family and we hope you guys enjoy their visit.