I have no idea why Wednesday seems to be my blogging day of the week, but 90% of my posts either go online or are started on Wednesday... who knows?
So I have been taking a 10 week guitar class since January. Very very beginner guitar. The class is held in a tiny basement room in the HTB church house and it's been an incredible experience. A lot of credit goes to my teacher. He's a professional musician who does session work and plays out and gives private lessons. He also leads worship at one of HTB's church plants. He's got the vibe of an older cousin or young uncle that's just really quirky and cool. He's quite a good teacher, accepting any and all (stupid) questions, pacing the class well, and adding to the fun with a quote of the week and the occasional (fantastically played) classic 70s rock song sample. Another thing I enjoy is the class mixture. The class has incredible ethnic diversity, with everyone between 20 and 35 years old... We chat on the way to the Tube after class and I have actually had one of them over to our house to practice during an off week. I also really like the fact that I've had a bit of a head start with some of it, due to all the music theory I absorbed while singing and in years of piano lessons. It makes me feel like a quick learner, even if I'm already at a huge advantage!
I've told friends over the last several years that a guitar player *is* somewhere inside of me, trying to break free. Growing up in Nashville and spending hours around very talented music people in high school and college, it always seemed a shame to me that I could only lend a voice to the music, and not my own guitar. I'm certainly not ready to subject the world to my playing yet, but I can accompany myself singing about 15 or 20 worship songs and have some of the basics down.
And Eric has helped so much - meeting me early each week to take Brooks home, feed him supper and put him to bed while I'm at class. He's also listened to my (very rough) early practice sessions and found several nice ways to tell me that he doesn't have a clue what song I'm playing... :) I do hope that it's something that I can keep getting better at. I'm so proud of myself for doing this! Now I just have to practice, practice, practice.
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
It makes my heart sing to know you are following this dream. Keep up the good work! gbread
way to go on following through with something you have been after to do for a while. it's so great to have supportive hubbies that help us stay well-rounded after motherhood; i think i probably just expect this to be true of everyone, but i know it's not.
i always wanted to learn guitar, but could never get past the ouchy finger stage - you will have to video yourself when you feel confident enough so we can see for ourselves!
xoxo
Way to go Sissy! Can I make requests? : )
so glad you're going to release the inner guitarista :0) brooks is getting so big and looking less like a baby. wild to know that Erin's not far behind! love you and CAN'T WAIT to see you!!
Bravo to you for taking up a new challenge, and an extra bravo for Eric helping you do it! Great hubbies are such a blessing :) I am curious to hear the story about the church usher you mentioned in a previous post.
Post a Comment