Two bunches the color of ripe papaya were on display, so I happily bought them and made small talk to the girl at the stand while she wrapped them for me. She's sweet, quiet, probably Eastern European descent, and is always bundled up with a big coat and gloves, scarf and hat as she huddles in her corner outside all day long. Brooks smiled at her and, with some prompting, waved and said "bye-bye" after our transaction. As I turned his stroller around to head home, she reached down and pulled out a Gerber daisy and handed it to him. Bright Auburn orange, it was like sunshine on a stem... Brooks was curious and I was enchanted. He had fun with his strange new toy all the way home, swinging it around and feeling the petals and "conducting" with it, until he eventually beat it to death and the long stem broke. We cut the stem down and it's now sitting on a bud vase on our table as a happy sunbeam from the girl at the flower stand.
I love watching my son make friends.
Here's a visual...
And here's a little clip of the action...
1 comment:
When I read your accounts of his interactions with strangers I think of him as a little sunbeam, strolling around the streets of London, bringing smiles to gloomy faces. What a sweety. Gbread
Post a Comment