Thursday, January 24, 2008

Observations from London Life - Jan 08

This morning, on my way to "Tots n Toddlers", I passed by a flower bed in our church yard and was completely overtaken by a lovely smell. I looked over and saw several daffodils in full bloom (what?!) and some other flowering plants popping open. I have no idea what caught my nose, but my heart started racing when I saw the fresh blooms. Early, too early, perhaps, but a great first sign of spring.

Later today, I started noticing that lots of borders and flower boxes had all kinds of green things peeking up out of their dirt. And some of the trees look like they're fully budded and just about to explode. Wait, isn't it January?! And isn't it freezing back home?! I guess this is what happens when a place has days on end of above-50 degree weather in January. I will _always_ take a few gray, soggy days in exchange for milder temperatures.

Tonight the stars were crisp and bright, twinkly, silent as the city seemed to dim its electric glare in deference to their right to shine. I thought of all the famous characters that have strolled the streets of London, under those same stars... perhaps passing by this church, or that very pub on their way to or from work or play. And I marveled again at the chance, my _second_ chance, to call this lovely neighborhood home.

I can feel my heart coming alive as I look outside of myself and notice all these little things. They bring me great joy and remind me how glad I am to be a pedestrian in this remarkable city....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's true. I've actually ridden my bike to work a few times recently without freezing. It's great!

Bonnie said...

It sounds wonderful! Can't wait to visit.

hayumbone said...

I can't help but feel envious that you're getting a tiny taste of spring this early. Imagine what things are like in Chicago right now...

I can hear the joy in your words, and I love it.