I've noticed that logistical problems, however small, tend to explode all over me in London. I'm sure this phenomenon is probably related to the isolation we sometimes feel - I miss the safety net of having our Chicago community and both our families within easy reach. Back home, issues seem to have solutions and support doesn't seem so far away. Today is one of those "exploding problem" sort of days.
I'm having computer trouble with the Mac. Now typically, I love my laptop. It's easy to use and generally without problems and best of all - zero viruses. Last week, I got really excited about some new software that a friend recommended, so I was cleaning up my files (mostly music and photos and videos of Brooks) and started doing some back-ups with the intention of purchasing the new software and playing around with it before Eric's parents' visit. Unfortunately, in the process of backing up my photos this weekend, I've created a problem. I think I know what the issue is, but I have NO CLUE how to fix it, and what's worse, I don't know any computer gurus over here to even ask. What seems like a small annoyance then starts to grow to a calamity in my mind. What do I do?! Who can fix this?? Who do I call? What will it cost? What will I do in the meantime? Will I even be able to get all my files back? And, gulp, what if we have to buy a new computer?!
I think of myself as a positive and pro-active person. A "Bring it on" kind of gal. I've done all sorts of things that I'm proud of and figured my way out of all kinds of messes. But these days, this kind of challenge tends snowball around me, particularly when I feel as under-resourced as I do right now. Yes, yes, I recognize that this really isn't that big of a deal (my litmus test - "no small children will die if..." - helps me gain perspective) but, boy, it feels like it is! All our warranties specify US/Canada only. All our tech support phone numbers are US toll-free (meaning they won't work over here). The London Mac retail store doesn't have any Genius Bar availability until Thursday night to help me fix it myself. And frankly, schlepping over there with a broken laptop and Brooks in tow just to stand in line for a few hours to get some answers? - that feels like a challenge I could do without. I just feel quite alone trying to figure out how to solve this problem. Yuck.
The current computer issues also mean that I don't have access to skype for the time-being (oh dear!) so we will get this fixed right away. Please pray that I can keep my cool and just do the _next_ thing towards a resolution. That way, I will eventually figure out how to fix it instead of just turning circles...
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
isn't it amazing how the same technology that makes our life so much easier has the power to make it HE double hockey sticks in the blink of an eye?
I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but the other day at work as I was cleaning MY files, I deleted them and then emptied my trash. I know it sounds unbelievable - I was almost in tears, but I did it. And wouldn't you know it, they make recovery software for silly people like me? All of my files were "unerased" praise God! Of course, I had over 2,000 files I had to go through to decide if I needed them, but alas, it was worth the time. So there is hope! I'm convinced.
Post a Comment