Tonight after supper, as we were cleaning up the kitchen, Brooks kept trying to get into the trash can to see what we keep in there. Not that fun, especially when I'm not sure how to "discipline" a young toddler. He was clearly disobeying - a sneaky look to see if we'd catch him and then back he'd go for another attempt at the off-limits rubbish bin. Anyway...
Eric has a bad cold, so Brooks' whole bedtime routine was mine to cover. It's a pretty low-key pattern - bath time, jammies, books, milk, cuddles, and then lights out. We started the bath and he splashed and laughed for a few minutes before fussing and crying as the water got too chilly. Once he had on a clean diaper and a pair of warm jammies, it was time to have a bedtime snack. He was all business and finished quickly, so after he was done, I cuddled him in my arms and was beginning to tell him that I loved him no matter what...
"I love you when you try and get into the trash can...
I love you when you scream because we won't let you in the trash can....
I love you when you stand up in the bathtub...
I love you when you throw food on the floor.... "
All of a sudden, he lifted his head off of my shoulder, gave me a big grin - I assumed, of comprehension? - and then looked at the door. I followed his eyes, was Daddy coming in to say goodnight? No.
Brooks looked back at me, and then looked at the door again, waved his hand and smiled and said loudly "bye-bye". I was being... dismissed ... by my one year old!
He's been saying bye-bye for almost a week now, so the correct pronunciation of the word didn't shock me as much as the meaning... He could not have been clearer. He wanted me to put him in his bed and leave him alone.
No tears. No pitiful looks or whimpers. No separation anxiety. Just "bye-bye," momma.
And so I left. I can hear him in there now, shaking his rattle, talking softly to himself. I don't know what to make of that, but I guess he knows when he needs his alone time.
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think you have an introverted son. As verbal as he is, I think it's a sign.....
I can't stop laughing at the picture of this scene in my head. Oh my goodness!
I'm glad you posted this. I makes me feel better to know that at some point as they grow up they won't be sad when you leave them in their crib at night (even if sometimes mommies feel sad to say good night)!
Post a Comment