Brooks is now learning how to drink from an open-top cup. We decided to cut out the bottle at his first birthday (he wasn't using it very much anymore - just when we had a sitter, or I couldn't be there) and at that point I thought about switching to a sippy cup... The obvious next step, right? But every sippy I had heard about had some pretty big cons, the most common being the constant leaks and drips. As we live in a flat that's entirely carpeted, I wasn't ready for the mess, so I thought it might be easier to just teach him to use a cup right from the get go.
Actually, my mom encouraged me to move to the cup when she reminded me that in days of old (ie, my growing up years) sippy cups weren't common, and kids from the beginning of time have just learned to drink from a cup. She also gave as an example our friend's precious child SP who at age two came to his parents (through international adoption) completely potty trained and with perfect table manners! Wow! So I know it can be done.
He's definitely taken to it well, better than I expected, even though I would certainly not hand him a full cup of anything, even water, just yet. (He currently loves throwing *everything* on the floor.) I love seeing his little hands grasping the cup to bring it up and squash it against his face as he gulps it down. Eric calls it "full contact drinking" as the beverage almost touches his nose in his exuberance to figure out how to get it all in his mouth at once. The occasional sputters and gasps don't seem to diminish his enthusiasm, either.
This morning at breakfast he discovered if he slowed down a bit, he could blow bubbles in his milk. What fun in simple pleasures!
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I am cracking up. Full contact drinking and milk bubbles.....fantastic!
Happy Birthday, Sarah Catherine! I was going to Skype you, but we seem to have lost power at the moment. Thank goodness for the battery operated laptop! :) I hope you have a wonderful day. Let us know how to celebrate in London. Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday! from Laura in Nashville
Happy Birthday, Dear Friend!
i didn't know you blogged! I am a fellow blogger. Happy Birthday!
adorable!
Such a cute story! I love that he figured out how to blow milk bubbles!
ok, i'm rethinking the sippy cup for mags, because like you said, we got through childhood w/out them. and it's one less transition, right? hmm...good to hear that Brooks is taking so well to it! i can totally picture him blowing bubbles. too sweet indeed!
happy birthday, once again. how was your day?!
Dear, dear, Sarah, I was so bummed to have missed you in London! After getting folks settled in, I did run over in case you stayed in the airport, but, alas, you found a better place to meet!
Happy Birthday. Know that while you may not have your adoring friends and family to surround you, you are surrounded by our thoughts and prayers!
I love you, SC!
I bought 2 Doidy cups for Patrick and they are great! http://www.babyzoop.co.uk/doidy.htm Very useful for learning to drink.
So cute about milk bubbles!
Happy Happy Happy Birthday!
I read a few articles about skipping the sippy cup...and also skipping the bottle and going straight to sippy.
Get a picture of him blowing his bubbles..that will be cute.
How fun to yoga with you in your brief visit here. It did my heart good to see you. You are right--Brooks is the cutest thing ever!
Blogging gives us the opportunity to pick up where we left off...walking home from school (that sounds very old fashioned!) drinking fruit tea and eating chips and queso, pretending to do homework, but mostly just talking about boys.
My kids are closer to the age we were when we met than we are! Unreal.
Love you Precious Friend!
Hope you are back safe and sound in the UK. I thought of you yesterday since it was a Monday (boo) ;)
Post a Comment