"synonymous with quality, style and excellence in providing unparalleled racing and a memorable day out. The pinnacle of the flat racing season is Royal Ascot, racing’s equivalent to the World Cup, the most famous race meeting in the world. Royal Ascot is a unique event in the summer social calendar, steeped in tradition, heritage and pageantry dating back to 1711. The jewel in Ascot’s crown, Royal Ascot attracts over 300,000 racegoers each year, to view the splendour and colour of five days of the finest racing, fashion and glamour. The quality of the horse racing at the Royal Meeting is simply outstanding. It is an essential date for your diary."
So, you get the idea. This is a big deal over here, and being "well-turned-out" for Ladies' Day at Royal Ascot is no small thing. Ladies Day is, as you might guess, historically the day that ladies head out to see and be seen. Decked out in all their finery, with lovely (and ridiculous) hats galore, I thought it sounded fantastic, and I certainly didn't want to be unsporting, or inappropriately attired.
Apparently a shocking number of various fashion crimes were committed at recent Ladies' Days, so this year, the Royal Enclosure Dress Code was listed on the official Royal Ascot website:
Her Majesty’s Representative wishes to point out that only formal day dress with a hat or substantial fascinator will be acceptable. Off the shoulder, halter neck, spaghetti straps and dresses with a strap of less than one inch and/or mini skirts are considered unsuitable. Midriffs must be covered and trouser suits must be full length and of matching material and colour. Gentlemen are required to wear either black or grey morning dress, including a waistcoat, with a top hat. Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal national dress of their country or Service dress.
Clearly, they take the whole "what to wear" question very seriously. We weren't going to be in the Royal Enclosure, but I still didn't want to be {shudder} "unsuitable!" Oh, the disgrace! So, what's an American girl to do, you ask!?
Well, you shop! I spent one long afternoon going from store to store along Oxford Street (London's Michigan Ave) looking for inspiration. Lots of stores sell hats. Lots and lots of hats...
I was "spoiled for choice" (this is British for "there were a number of options") and was a bit overwhelmed by all of it, including the price tags. The most expensive one I tried on was 235 pounds - or $470. Yes. For. A. Hat. Thankfully, I bought nothing that day and the next day I had a generous offer from a friend to borrow her big beautiful black and white hat... Perfect! After pulling a few key basics and a lovely new-ish jacket from my closet, I felt ready for the races.
When we finally got to Ascot, I realized there were several different kinds of women in several categories of dress. There was the Rule-Following, "I must look Perfect" woman who looked as if a Royal Personal Shopper had dressed her. Then there was the Fashion-Forward, "I'm here to make a statement" woman who seemed to be quite thrilled that she looked ridiculous. There was the Young and Beautiful "Who cares about the Dress Code?" woman who was quite content to wear a strapless minidress with a feather in her hair and flirt across the barrier with the men from the Royal Enclosure. What a hoot!
Here are some of my "fashion" pictures from the day. Enjoy!
Everywhere we looked, people had something on their heads...
Fuchsia was this year's popular accent color.
Some used it as more than an accent....
Even the men got into the shades of pink. Note, the guy on the left IS carrying a cane - I guess that's the necessary accessory to match the top hat!
How many birds had to die in the making of this hat?
What was this woman (or her stylist) thinking?! Ric-rac and posterboard do not make the most grown-up glamour!
We called this one "Dressed to Win". She was the guest, appropriately, of one of the winning horse's owners and was photographed quite a bit in the Winners' Circle.
Becky and I LOVED this ensemble... lovely color, beautiful from the back and the front, flattering style and age-appropriate! She was even ready in case of rain with a matching umbrella. She wins my fashion Gold Cup!
1 comment:
Great story and photos of the big event. Thanks so much for sharing this unique experience.
Post a Comment