Saturday, July 7, 2007

A Nice Break

Last week we spent several days in Culver, IN with some of our good friends from Park. There were lots of things to celebrate while we were together, but we mostly just enjoyed playing in the quiet lake (mid-week seems to be the ideal time to go!), shooting fireworks at night and dodging afternoon thunderstorms. The time to catch up with our dear friends was a gift.

This week we headed to Colorado to see the Rice Crew. This is a group of eight friends, six of whom graduated from Eric's alma mater (Elisa and I married in!) who have vacationed together once a year or more since 1999... This year we switched from New Years to July 4th and it was perfect timing as two of the couples are expecting a baby within a month of New Years 2008! We hiked, played rummikub, watched the hummingbirds, dipped our toes in the (FREEZING) river just outside our Bed and Breakfast, and just enjoyed the scenery in the shadow of CO's tallest peak. Eric and I really enjoyed the car rides to and from Denver and the time to cover lots of conversation topics.

That was also our first two or three days sans Brooks since his arrival last November. While it was fun to have grown-up adventures with our friends, I really missed him and thought several times "I wish Brooks were with us!" But it was probably good for us to have a couple of days without the kiddo, especially while we have eager Brooks-sitters just a quick SWA flight away. My family in Nashville had a great time hanging with the little guy - thanks so much!

But when I sat down to write this morning, I titled the post based on my feelings today. It was such fun to see everyone and do everything we did in the last two weeks, but I've had a lovely morning of low-key time at home and I'm so thankful for it. As I sat down to write, through the monitor I could hear Eric reading Brown Bear and A Very Hungry Caterpillar to Brooks. It's moments like these when I'm so amazed by joy. I love hearing Brooks and Eric play together. Before parenthood, just a year ago, we definitely would still have been asleep at this point on a Saturday morning. But I've been up for several hours already... and I don't even mind! The quiet weekend days seem longer when they start before 6am! :) Just really sweet times, and so very different that hiking mountains or jet-skiing all over an Indiana lake with a crew of friends.

Today I'm thankful for all of these moments...

2 comments:

The McKays said...

i was in the Denver-area about a week before you; how i love Colorado! the air is just better in the mountains, imo. i know what you mean, too, about enjoying time with friends and being on vacation, but it is so nice to get home and just do the daily routine.

mags loves "BB,BB" too.

Sunshine Eyes said...

The air is definitely better... but THINNER! I can't believe how light-headed I was for the first day or two. The whole altitude thing really does make a difference, I certainly had to give myself grace as I adjusted! {gasp!}