Thursday, May 10, 2007

Ouch!

On Tuesday, my moms group (a wonderful group of new friends from my church) gathered for a mothers day brunch. Since we have recently finished the book Captivating and haven't started our new study yet, we used our discussion time to ask and answer each others questions, to learn from the collective wisdom of all those moms. Great idea! I'd been planning to seek advice, among other things, on how we could help Brooks sleep better. Since April 21st when we left for Hilton Head, Brooks had not once slept through the night, and often woke multiple times. I thought that perhaps we had ruined his good sleeping habits during one extended vacation.

So, we're sitting around chatting and I'm mentally forming my question, when all of a sudden Brooks' usual gnawing on my thumb turned really painful. Ouch! What in the world?! Um, hello momma! Duh! I'm cutting my first tooth. That's why I've been screaming a lot, especially at night. I'm not just grumpy, I'm in pain!

It was the smack in the head realization, the cartoon light bulb over the slower mind blinking on! I mean we knew he was teething as there has been drool everywhere for weeks, but I didn't think he was actually cutting one yet. And I felt so BAD for the little guy. In my exuberance to "sleep train" him this week, I had been patting him, speaking to him, comforting him from afar when he woke up in the middle of the night. But I had not been giving him children's tylenol or gotten him out of his crib for a little extra cuddling! No wonder we'd all three been getting so little sleep.

So, it's hard to take a picture of the top of a tiny new tooth in a mouth full of drooling gums. But thought I'd attempt it... Any luck seeing it?

If you have a chance to hold Brooks in the next week or two, I'm sure that he'll show you his new tooth by chewing on your fingers.

Wahoo! Another big milestone.

1 comment:

The McKays said...

mags can turn into a little crankster too when teething. poor things, indeed! i do see his little tooth though. you did a better job capturing it with Brooks than i did with Mags. she really wouldn't hold still!