Monday, May 7, 2007

Food, glorious food

Brooks is more or less always hungry. Unless he's spitting up the meal that he just finished, I can usually nurse him more, and he'll eat it with enthusiasm. The last few weeks, however, he's become quite accomplished at grabbing at my toast, triscuits, strawberries, bananas, pita chips, fork-fuls of chicken, salad, fruit, glasses and mugs of beverages, pretty much anything intended for my mouth.

So yesterday, 2 weeks from his six month half-birthday, we tried feeding him solids for the first time. Actually, the meal wasn't solid, per se. It was rice cereal powder mixed with breast milk, much more like broth with a bit of texture to it. Anyway, it was a big hit with the little man. Much of it ended up on his chin and in his bib (which was, apparently, also appetizing), but he did swallow some of it down and seemed to enjoy the new discoveries. See pics below for the play by play.

Ooh, what's this thing around my neck? A "bib"? Interesting...


Yippee! My first meal!! Is it steak, Dad? Is it steak?!


Is this what I'm smelling!? Gimme!


What do you mean, swallow? Can't I just lick it?


Are you going to watch me eat every bite?


Momma says "look up" so she can wipe off my chin!


Can I have some more, please?


What, I'm not supposed to lick my bib clean?

I think I'm done now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to feed him without it getting everywhere? Smaller portions? What a mess.

Sunshine Eyes said...

You have no idea. Really. I was thrilled that he didn't have it in his HAIR. How do you feed a child neatly who turns his head at the slightest distraction without thinking of the cleanliness consequences?! I did the whole scrap it off his chin back into the spoon thing that I've seen parents do before. It just sort of happens. No explanation, but I will let you try it! :)