Important lessons in child-rearing: Don't sit a baby in a Bumbo anywhere close to the knife block, because he can and will likely reach farther than you think.
That near heart-attack I just had was from turning around (my back was turned less than a minute and I was less than 2 feet away) and seeing my adorable five month old grasping the handle of a paring knife. The phrase "you could poke an eye out" has never been more terrorizing. Instead of screaming "drop it and never touch that again!" I had to calmly remove his discovery from his fist and remember that at this point, my child likes anything new and shiny... this is normal behavior. It's up to me to make sure he can only explore safe things.
Please don't call Cook County Child-services on me. Has anyone else had a child safety near miss that I should learn from? This is definitely a teachable moment.
Tuesday, May 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well as a baby you were dropped from the changing table by the babysitter. It scarred me for life.
Then there was the time that you managed to get 2 blocks away as an 18 month old and were almost run down in a busy intersection.
And hey, that same night you managed to turn on the shower and the hot water and scald yourself.
Yes. This little apple is like his momma.
Post a Comment