Monday, November 10, 2008

Halloween - UK Style

Halloween doesn't enjoy the same significance as a holiday in the UK that it does in the States. While many families celebrate it to some extent, it doesn't seem to take over the culture for the whole of October the way it does back home. There were no hay rides advertised, or pumpkin patches around town. I didn't see one single jack-o-lantern glowing from a front porch or dark window. A few pubs did put up cheap paper decorations on the night and, of course, the grocery stores were all selling candy but I wasn't too impressed.

Last year Brooks didn't dress up for Halloween. We spent the day/evening in Venice with my family and while it is known for its masquerades, we were more on the tourist route than looking for child-friendly dress-up festivities. Not wanting to miss the chance to see our son in some fun costume (or "fancy dress" as it's called in the UK), I was hoping for a chance to take him to a costume party. How excited was I when I discovered that our church's childrens' ministry was hosting a Halloween alternative - a Light Party!

I remember several alternative Halloween nights back in the 1980s spent at the Keltons' Farm "Harvest Festival" - mostly hanging out with friends freezing and roasting, depending on how close I was to the bonfire. But at the end of the night, we'd always make the trek up the road to towards the huge dark hill, using flashlights to search along the route for balls of tin foil each hiding a little stash of candy. I loved it - those were great Halloween memories, and only a few years after my beautiful hand-made Disney princess costumes. Nothing off the rack for us! No, when we were really small, my mom would design patterns and make our Halloween costumes - JUST LIKE THE ORIGINALS! Our Snow White dress had cut-out blue and red satin puffed sleeves and a velvet cape and everything. I still feel pretty thinking about those costumes.

Anyway, we took Brooks to the Light Party at church and had a great time. I saw a few friends from Tots and Toddlers, got to meet the husbands of several girlfriends and introduce Eric around. But mostly we just experienced what our future holds - News flash! Childrens' parties are NUTS! Here are a few photos from the day...

Brooks dressed up as Cowboy Small, a character from one of his favorite books. The hat and boots and cowboy shirt are all from his TN Grandma, and the jeans and bandanna were added to complete the ensemble. He wore this outfit all day long and kept saying "Brooks Cowboy SMALL!" over and over again. He was so proud.


The party was insane. This picture shows about an eighth of the party. A DJ had fun music blaring, there were contests going at stations all around the room, and all the kids were hyped up on candy they were winning from the carnival games. This was the only bit of calmness, a craft section for the youngest kids to color and spread glue everywhere.


Brooks's favorite part of the night was the Light Room, a section of the party with only black lights, tiny colored twinkle lights, neon face paint, those glowy snap bracelet things, and glow in the dark constellations stuck on the wall. Whenever I lost track of Brooks and Dada, I could find them in there, enjoying checking themselves out in the mirrors with the alien bluish glow.




It was a fun day and I was glad to be able to spend the evening with my two favorite guys! We love Cowboy Small.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep! Brooks Cowboy small is definitely the cutest cowboy I have ever seen.
gbread.

Bonnie said...

Wow, what a neat event. Love Brooks as Cowboy Small!

Bec said...

Adorable....we get at least as much enjoyment out of their little costumes as they do!

Anonymous said...

Brooks was great as Cowboy Small. And the great part about being 2, is that he can be a cowboy whenever he wants (which turns out to be most days).