Thursday, November 13, 2008

Advent... Conspiracy?

Anyone else seen this video? What do you think?

Some of its conclusions certainly line up with my recent thoughts about the excesses of the American "holiday season". (Is it okay with the PC people to call it Christmas again?)

What would it be like to stuff every stocking on my mantle with water filters for my loved ones to give away? Would they like it? Would I like it?

Am I willing? I'd like to think so...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very good and very bad.

We do spend too much on frivilous things. There is a lot that could be done by giving more. If the church actually tithed, then we'd take a good sized chunk out of poverty. We do need to live out our faith more. There is now, as there always has been, a disgusting discrepancy between the money the church has and the money it uses to care for the poor.

At the same time, I'd have to say that was a call to do the right thing for the wrong reasons. Guilt shouldn't be the motivator. It came off to me as "you'll be more godly if you don't give presents."

It is a good thing to give gifts to your friends and family. It is good that those gifts are generous. Instead of rejecting a beautiful thing like Christmas morning, which would be all too susceptible to "Look how humble I am!" pretensions, why don't we not let our right hand know what our left hand is doing and set aside money throughout the year?

We can do our part without announcing it on youtube or having anyone otherwise notice.

Katharine F. Bedsole said...

Love the video. My mom and dad now give their family (my aunts and uncles) the gift of food and clothing in their name. They pick a needy family and spend money buying clothes and toys and then send a card saying what was given in their name.

I have to admit that I like giving and receiving presents. I don't mind giving someone else's present money away but it is hard to imagine all of the present money for me going to water wells. However, that being admitted I still want to try to be different.

Yea for posting the video and encouraging discussion. :)

Anonymous said...

I have a GE water filter for my refrigerator and freezer. I'll get the part number for you. You can get it off the GE website.

I have enough Brita filters though. Got a bunch at Costcos before I got this refrigerator.

But don't put it in my stocking. It might break since it's felt.

8invitations.com said...

Christmas makes me tired for all of those reasons. last year, I tried with all of my might to choose to celebrate differently. I like the advent conspiracy. It will be interesting to see what this year is like, with most of our stuff packed up. After cleaning and packing and taking loads to the dump and good will, I do not want more stuff in my house! Thanks for posting that video.

RHB said...

I like it. Spend less. Give more- time, presence. That is what will make the difference in the life of nonbelievers.

And about giving to the poor? I like what those churches did. What if everyone did tithe? Wouldn't we build bigger and better church buildings and programs? I don't think that the American church has any intention of adressing the situation of poverty in our country. We do nice projects but that is where it usually stops. So, why not an administration that actually addresses the problem of poverty. But what I hear from most Christians that I know is what a bummer it is going to be to be taxed more and have the government dealing with issues that the church should be taking care of. But the church isn't taking care of the poor. Consequently, our supposedly "Christian" nation ends up acting very badly. And people over here in our neck of the woods end up wondering what kind of "Christian nation" doesn't provide basics for it's people like healthcare, etc .

The McKays said...

SC, I really loved the video and don't think it was meant to guilt people into not giving gifts; I think it was just another perspective on how we spend our money and time and how we COULD be spending those things to better ourselves and our world...in the name of Christ. Really powerful. I like to idea of donating to charity in the name of a relative or ordering from say, the Samaritan's Purse catalog, which has "40 Gifts of Hope for a Hurting World," including "teach a child to read and write," "help fight epidemic diseases," "milk," and "blankets."

thanks for sharing.