This being the first year of the Royal Parks race (so called because over half of the course looped through Hyde Park, St James Park and Green Park), I wasn't expecting SO MANY runners. We had a great time cheering for thousands of complete strangers, but I couldn't help the comparisons with Chicago's marathon weekend. It was a zoo, but in a very British way. Only a handful of costumes/wigs, etc. Most people had their iPods in. Very few were running with partners or pacing groups. A few runners had their name on the shirts - when I shouted out to them, one person said "oh thank you ever so much", another said "cheers". As for our general clapping and cheering, some people were befuddled and others seemed pleasantly surprised to find crazy Americans still cheering - the spectator numbers were limited... We camped out for almost an hour, right after mile 11 just off of Broad Walk, and most runners seemed relieved by our shouts of "only 2 miles to go!". A few groaned. One asked "really, TWO more miles?! Not just one!?" I hope she was kidding.
Eventually, we saw both of our friends - both were looking strong and still smiling. I ran a few yards with Becky who was thrilled to meet her goal with a PR and then I finished the last two miles with Heather. Afterward, we stuck around for the race festival and enjoyed the beautiful afternoon outside. Brooks, inspired by all the running he had seen that morning, decided to test out his speed in his new cowboy boots.
He was also really impressed by Becky's wooden medal.
We got to meet baby Eloise, daughter of the Grizzles' good friends Cade and Melissa. Sweet Sweet!
Congrats runners! I'm so proud of you both! :)
1 comment:
"...A few runners had their name on the shirts - when I shouted out to them, one person said "oh thank you ever so much", another said "cheers"..."
That's hilarious! I love the British. Al ran the Chicago marathon a few years ago, and it was the most fun race I've ever been to.
What a great story!
Post a Comment