Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Something...

I sit down today to write... something. We have so much to tell, so many stories, so many pictures, so much LIFE to share here that I'm just overwhelmed by the idea of "catching up" on the blog. But rather than delay, I thought I'd start with SOMETHING.

Yesterday, I checked out a friend's Facebook page and noticed that she had labeled some of her new pictures "Fall 2008"... What!? I thought, it's not Fall yet, is it?! I still feel like we should be in the midst of summer, or spring actually, of 2008.

I'm definitely not ready for fall this year, even though it's always been one of my favorite seasons. Perhaps because the hot weather never actually showed up over here this year. Perhaps because August and September have been a traveling and hosting blur. Perhaps (most likely) because this summer will be our only full summer in the UK, and I hate to think that it's already behind us.

But the inevitable has happened. The leaves are starting to turn and fall. The hotel window boxes around our square are filled with overgrown flowers that have started to shrivel a bit and look tired. School kids are walking around the neighborhood in their adorable formal uniforms, hats and blazers and matching school satchels. I spotted a pumpkin in the market this past week, the first official "harvest" item. Can you believe, I actually saw a reference to Christmas on a sign last week?! It's true. Fall is here. The holidays aren't too far beyond, and after that, our last term in London. I can't believe we've passed the mid-point.

Home seems closer, and farther away, than ever today...

4 comments:

Bec said...

I will miss seeing the leaves change! I will not miss raking. Post some photos for me.

It is hard to believe you're on the down slope of your time in the UK, but no one could charge you with not making the most of your time there......I'm continually impressed with how y'all pack in so many fun things to do. You've seen so much and immersed yourself in the culture. You'll be so glad you did once you're back here! Love you.

Bonnie said...

Thinking of you and sending lots of love. Miss you so much.

Liz M said...

Yeah, the changing seasons are upon us in Chicago too. Both TJ Maxx and Marshalls stores have Christmas sections set up already. We saw pumpkins for sale in Jewel last weekend. Glad to be keeping in touch via blogs - hope you are all well!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back online. Are you taking questions for postings? : ) I miss you!