As in "family of origin" time... Brooks and I flew to Nashville for a few days in honor of my dad's birthday. He turns 78 tomorrow. Unfortunately, Eric had to hold down the fort in Chicago, and take a quick business trip today, so we missed sharing the trip with him.
But oh, what fun to show off all of Brooks' new tricks and hang out with my folks and "Aunt Sissy". It's been a great few days... Brooks is in the "golden age of babyhood" right now and I love seeing my parents' faces light up at the sight of their grandchild. Grandpa Charlie calls him "little man" or "big boy" and my mom's baby talk voice just about kills me. Sissy seems to attract spit up only when she's wearing work clothes that require dry cleaning. It's a riot!
Tonight, Brooks sat in his car seat on a chair pulled up to the supper table with us. So cute! As we finished up the meal (steak with blackberry clobber for dessert!), I looked around and thought, this is one of the last times we'll be able to enjoy this kind of leisurely dinner hour... In a few short months, Brooks will be crawling or eating baby food, and meal times will be very different than the relatively peaceful meal we enjoyed tonight. Look out!
This trip, Brooks has slept fairly well, but both nights so far, he's gotten up for a feeding in the wee small hours. After putting him down to sleep, I wandered out to the back porch and enjoyed my grandparents rocking chairs and savored the gentleness of the most relaxing spot on the planet. It was absolutely lovely!
Thank you, family, for a great visit. I love you and I love Nashville - to me, it will always be God's Country.
Wednesday, April 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment