At dinner this evening, we had acorn squash and homemade macaroni & cheese. We had the vegetable first, while the mac & cheese cooled a bit from the oven (overheard... Brooks: "Mom, are we REALLY gonna have the dessert FIRST tonight?!" Mom: "We are having the squash first, and sometimes we do eat it last for dessert, don't we?" Brooks: "I mean, wait, I still want dessert after this...." LOL!)
Jack was not a fan of the squash the last time we had it, in large part because it was too hot right out of the oven. But it's a half a squash filled with apple, butter and brown sugar - what's not to love? So after me telling him he needed to eat his vegetable, so I could serve up his mac n cheese, he declared "MOM! I don't LIKE this splosh!!! It's too hairy!" Then and there a dish was christened with a new name: Roasted Acorn Squash became "Hairy Splosh". The resulting laughter and silliness was enough to keep the entire table giggling throughout the rest of the acorn squash consumption.
And then later in the evening Jack, approx 3 years and 9 months old, said this at bedtime:
"Thank
you, God for school and houses and farms and fields and cows and horses
and animals and balls and slides and playing and sleeping!"
Brooks, curled up on the other side of the room prayed:
"Thank you, God, that there are no more Nazis, and for Great-Grandpa How, and for houses and beds and food."
Yes, God. Thank you.
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Very sweet. Good story. And there are soooo many good stories.
Hairy Splosh! I love that. And that recipe sounds awesome.
What adorable boys you have!
Post a Comment