Thursday, May 26, 2011

a few thoughts at the end of the night...

I've always loved thunderstorms. I don't ever remember feeling terrified of the lightning or the big booms and claps of thunder, even as a child... in fact, I think of them as more thrilling than anything. God's great power on display, and our world's natural order a bit out of whack as our weather responds to conflicting forces, etc... It's pouring here right now, and with our kitchen window propped open, I can hear the rain washing through the gutters, into the streets and sewers beyond. It's a soothing sound to me.

This morning on a very rainy walk from the car to our final mom's group meeting at the Zidlickys, I was delighted to hear Jack try to say "water" as he pointed excitedly to the rainwater gushing through the streets next to the curb. His efforts at communicating (with something other than grunts and screams) continue as we've started working with a speech therapist once a week. Seeing him come alive to everything around us is so fun. He loves to point out balls (bahhhwww) and dogs (agggff - his own version of a barking sound) everywhere we go. The first time he noticed a plane high up in the sky was the first day of May, as we were strolling around a few blocks after supper with Uncle Steve & Mitsuko. He was completely amazed at the bird-like thing zipping through the sky. It was precious.

Brooks asked me this week what the birds were doing up there in the sky, "flying without flapping their wings". I tried to describe "soaring" (floating up on the wind), "zooming" (diving towards the ground) and "flapping (working hard against the wind), but realized that Brooks might be at a disadvantage with this as probably has never laid on his back in the grass and watched birds fly. While I love that he waves at the strangers we pass by on the sidewalk when we're out for a neighborhood stroll, knows to do "check-ins" with me at the local playground, and watches for the walking man or red hand lights at major intersections, there are definitely a few disadvantages to being a city boy. Hopefully we can rectify that this summer at the grandparents' houses.

On Sunday, the boys leave for a week of "Grandparent Camp" at Grandpa and Nana's house. Brooks is completely delighted with the prospect! He really can't wait, and I'm so pleased that he's looking forward to the time so eagerly. I think having Jack there will be more fun for everyone, too. Brooks and Jack play very well together, typically, and based on how they choose to spend their free play time at home, I think they'd be a bit lost without the other around for a whole week.

After celebrating a cousin's wedding in Medina the following weekend with them and the rest of our OH family, we say goodbye to Dada who'll zip off to London for work, and we'll head to TN for a few days. Being at my parents home is the best sort of vacation for me - getting to watch my family and my children interact, having more helping hands for everything, and getting to sleep in as much as I want... I'm looking forward to all of us being spoiled rotten for several days on end! And hopefully playing in real live sunshine!

We hope the sunshine will follow us to Hilton Head, as we'll head there as soon as Dada flies home from the UK for our first true "family vacation" - not traveling to see anyone, or planning to do anything but hang out with each other - in a very long time. We were actually dreaming about this trip in October 2008 in Santorini, Greece, if you can believe it. The Greek island was beautiful and we LOVED the architecture, the rugged beauty, and the warmth of the people, but we were ready to just slip our toes into familiar sand and do nothing productive for days on end.

My new camera takes beautiful photos, but unfortunately, I haven't downloaded a single one to my computer yet. I'm sure the correct cord will find it's way into my possession. Right now though, it seems like one more thing that needs my attention. Hopefully before vacation when we plan to take LOTS of happy photos.

Until then, I think I'll crack my bedroom window open and tuck in for the night. The thunder is still rolling through. I'm grateful for a warm bed and safe shelter.

Night, night.

No comments: