Tonight as I was putting Brooks down for the night, we got into a conversation about Jesus and Batman and Curious George. He mentioned bad guys again - he's had a thing about "bad guys" lately, perhaps taking my warnings to stick close to me in crowded, busy places VERY seriously. He announced that bad guys like to come out when it's dark, but that they go away when it's light outside. I told him about Jesus being the Light of the World, and how when we have Jesus in our hearts, we don't have to be afraid, even in the darkness... That Jesus can drive away the darkness and our fears.
Brooks wanted to know who was good, or MORE good - Batman or Jesus? When I explained that no one was good ALL the time, except for God/Jesus, and that that meant that Jesus definitely won that one, he said "is Curious George good?" Boy is this guy literal, or what? All his Curious George books start with "This is George, he's a good little monkey and always very curious. One day..."
After telling him that God was by definition good, that He was the perfect example of all that is good, I sang "Love Him" and tucked him in. As I moved to the door, Brooks announced that Batman visited his room sometimes at night, after we turned the lights off. He wanted me to stay in the room after switching the lights off to see if we could see him. Lo and behold, Brooks announced as soon as it was dark "there he is, Mom!! See!?!" Me? I was still in the dark. (Hmm, when did this obsession with Batman start? Probably at the eye glasses store, where they have a Barbie-doll sized Batman with movable limbs for kids to play with while their glasses are adjusted.)
But I told him as I said my final goodbyes that Jesus is always with us when we ask Him to come near, and that He would be in the room with Brooks tonight, in the dark. He just had to call Him. As I shut the door and listened with my ear to the crack, I heard "Jesus? JEEEE-sus? Are you there??"
May he hear Him answer, and open the door for God to come into his heart at this tender age.
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Just amazing to see his mind grappling with all these big questions. Such a precious child.
That is my prayer for him too.
Post a Comment