Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pickles and Ice Cream

What is it about pickles and pregnancy?! As I type, I have a salad fork propped up in a jar of "cornichons in sweet vinegar" - the closest thing I could find in the UK to my Great Aunt Na's sweet pickles - stabbing at another one like a starving woman, even though I've already had dinner and then a dessert of fresh fruit. What is it about pickles that makes me HAVE TO HAVE THEM!!! Or ice cream, for that's another common weakness in my condition? I mean, I love chocolate in any form pretty much all the time, but vanilla ice cream has the most appealing ring to it right about now.

When I was pregnant with Brooks, I had several cravings. Early on it was berries (blue, straw, black and rasp in great abundance) but I chalked that up to berry season hitting around the time that raw meat just looked disgusting. I spent a lot of time in the produce department. I also really needed watermelon. I remember lugging a least a dozen full-sized watermelons up to the 3rd floor condo in my second trimester, thinking that my belly was soon going to be growing to the size of this fruit. I ate them all myself.

But the worst craving was definitely postpartum. The week before Brooks arrived, we enjoyed a delicious supper at our friends' Tim and Melissa's place, and Melissa served a simple yummy dessert of rice pudding with a dash of ground cinnamon on top. Well, that was the end of that. I had to have it, all the time. In the hospital after Brooks was born, Eric brought me two containers that I scarfed down in less than a day. And once we were home again, for the next... I don't know, maybe three months? the Wheeler family bought our Jewel out of their store brand rice pudding (so glad that I liked the cheap version) each and every week. Eric would come back from a late night grocery run while I was nursing Brooks and *apologize* because he knew that buying them out of their last four tubs would only last me about 48 hours. In the end, he had to make me a cauldron of rice pudding from scratch using a huge bulk bag of white rice because none of our three local grocery stores could keep up with my demand. What a darling husband I have. He only teases me about this a little bit.

This time, I had some pretty intense early taco cravings. Conveniently those struck while we were home for Christmas (the English have expensive bad Mexican restaurants), but Eric thought it was crazy that I didn't care where they were from - Satco, Chipotle, Taco Bell - soft chicken tacos are yummy anywhere! I haven't missed a morning yet of Special K and skim milk. Yum! I've wanted lots of ginger ale and grapefruit juice lately and I've eaten dozens of citrus fruits in season. Who can explain this whole cravings thing to me...? Thankfully they've been mostly healthy... so far.

Pickles and Ice Cream is also the name of a precious maternity store in Cool Springs, near my hometown of Brentwood, TN. I got several cute outfits from there when I was pregnant with Brooks, and I'm already digging out my maternity clothes for this go around. Just 15 weeks into this gestational period, I already look like I'm 7 months along. This doesn't bode well for my third trimester, as I can imagine myself hot and huge in the South in August eating watermelon and ice cream until I can roll down the stairs... Lord, help me! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's serious. You have NO IDEA how much rice pudding she ate in the 2-ish months after Brooks was born. It was scary. And the taco thing was fun too, though not nearly as serious. And sometimes I crave tacos too, so I couldn't really blame her too much on that (except taco bell - really?) But the best part is that as I write this, SC is serving herself some ice cream. :)

Ruth said...

Oh man, cravings and aversions during pregnancy are very serious business! I had really bad morning sickness, too, so it made it all the worse. As a general rule, I avoid fast food, but I can't tell you how many times I *had* to have a McD's breakfast, complete with those disgusting hashbrowns - yuck! And Al laughed at my many cravings for SATCO, Amerigo, Dumplings, Meridees, and lots of other Nashville restaurants. Too bad Nashville is 5 hours away!!

That's really funny about the rice pudding, too. I'm not sure if I've ever had rice pudding, but maybe I shouldn't start - just in case. :)

Padgetts said...

I can remember my cravings for chicken as if I had never eaten it before. Cravings are funny.
If you are already showing, atleast you don't have the awkward stage of "I'm pregnant, not fat...I promise. Why can't everyone see I'm pregnant yet...come on tummy, show already!"
Have fun...can't wait to meet your sweet little wonder.

melissa said...

I remember the rice pudding months- so funny. Taco Bell, really?