One of the folks from my pastorate teased me after the 7:30 service tonight - "Boy, SC, you just *hated* that didn't you? Torture, huh?" Apparently it was pretty obvious I was having the time of my life up there. I mean, how in the world could I sing "All Glory be to God on high, and to the earth be peace!" without grinning!?! :)
The congregation sang these hymns with us:
Once, in Royal David's City
The First Nowell
While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks
Hark the Herald Angels Sing
O Come All Faithful
Every one of these hymns has a beautiful soprano descant on the final verse, most of which I had never heard before. So beautiful... I feel like an angel getting to sing these high notes, especially when I can hit the high A's! :)
And we sang the following anthems...
Adam Lay YBounden (Ord)
And the Glory of the Lord (Handel)
The Star Carol (Rutter)
The Three Kings (P Cornelius)
Midwinter (Chilcott)
The final anthem, Midwinter, was a newish setting of the traditional hymn In the Bleak Midwinter. The second half of this song just moves me so much that, even though I've been singing it for WEEKS in rehearsal and around the house, I still get choked up singing it every time. I teared up in both services tonight! I think it's the combination of music, lyrics, dynamics, accompaniment ... all of it. Here are my favorite lines -
Angels and Archangels may have gathered there.
Cherubim and seraphim thronged the air.
But only His mother in her maiden bliss
Worshipped the Beloved with a kiss.
What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb.
If I were a wise man, I would do my part.
But what I can, I give Him - give my heart.
Give my heart. My heart.
I love that I get to wake up tomorrow and do this all over again! Wish you were all going to be there so I could smile at you from the soprano section.
4 comments:
What a treat to sing with a group like that. Wish we could hear the music, experience the setting. "In the Bleak Midwinter" has become a favorite of mine.
Me too.....I am so excited to hear about it in less than a week in person!!!
I am also so excited about our Christmas concert....starting in 3 hours....so excited I tell you. Can't concentrate on anything else.
Wish you were here to sing with me...I still don't know all the notes....oops.
I'm so glad that the choir has been so fun. I love, and have wonderful memories of "In the Bleak Midwinter." It is a beautiful song.
Sing on, Friend, Sing on!
It sounds like such a beautiful setting, and there is just nothing like singing with first class musicians... although I have definitely experienced getting choked up (every Easter, without fail, while we sing "Christ the Lord is Risen Today"), and I have to say I'm not so much a fan of that in front of an audience. :)
I hope you enjoy every minute of such glorious music!
Post a Comment