Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Sliced Bread

has nothing to this!!!

Tuesday night our friends K and L came over for supper (our last supper guests before we start packing!) and he told us about a web radio site named Pandora. Oh my goodness! This is the coolest website ever, an online music radio database with a wide variety of musical selections in every genre based on the "music genome" project. Not exactly your typical online station, here's their description of the project:

Together we set out to capture the essence of music at the most fundamental level. We ended up assembling literally hundreds of musical attributes or "genes" into a very large Music Genome. Taken together these genes capture the unique and magical musical identity of a song - everything from melody, harmony and rhythm, to instrumentation, orchestration, arrangement, lyrics, and of course the rich world of singing and vocal harmony. It's not about what a band looks like, or what genre they supposedly belong to, or about who buys their records - it's about what each individual song sounds like.

I LOVE IT! I'm already filling up with my first "station" and am really enjoying several new artists that I haven't heard before. It's incredibly easy to use, and it's fun to be able to vote songs off my little station and to see what's coming next. How often do they repeat songs? And how can they pay for their tech and music licenses with just advertising space?! Amazing! Am I the only person in America who didn't know about this site?! Anyway, I'm loving it. Check it out and let me know what you think.

No comments: