Jack is so precious these days! At 4.5 months old he's still a chunk, eating and sleeping very well. We've been home from our holiday adventures for less than a week, but I'm trying to get him on a more consistent routine so that his sleeping and eating schedules will dovetail nicely with the rest of the family's. He's so happy! He laughs all the time and adores being tickled. He's also sticking everything he can reach into his mouth, to discover and to try and cut his first teeth. He's drooling like a champ and gnawing on our fingers constantly, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple teeth appear anytime. He seems to really like textures, maybe more than Brooks at this stage, snugging with his soft "brown monkey" and his lovey blanket from the Bomars. Check out those huge hands and pudgy wrists - just a sneak peak at the rolls that are EVERYWHERE on this boy. I love his squeezable softness! This photo was snapped as he was playing with his favorite car seat toy "blue birdie". It's a pull and shake toy and he's completely fascinated! That puckered lip expression reminds me so much of Brooks at this age. His chewy rattle and our silly faces are other favorite "toys" - what a delight this age is.
As I type, Brooks is attending his first pre-school-esque class with the Chicago Park District. Given that he runs constantly and is only still when he's asleep in his bed, we signed him up for two Park District Classes to provide him more organized play and interaction with other children in a more formal format. He plays his guitar and sings at the top of his lungs constantly, Silly Songs with Larry are big favs right now. He still loves cars and trucks and tractors and anything with wheels. He's doing a lot more imaginative play - talking about characters from his favorite books and making up songs and stories. Brooks and Dada play lots of "football" together in the evenings - it involves running around with a ball in his hands and avoiding the Dada Defense who's trying to tackle him - Brooks is alternately quarterback and running back. He really likes his gloves and hat (Auburn colors = Chicago Bears colors, making it easy to find accessories that Brooks loves!) He's a great big brother, smothering Jack in kisses and hugs and all sorts of affection. Of course, we're getting lots of independent streaks - NO and I don't want THAT, but generally he's great fun to be around with a sweet, kind spirit.
Eric and I are still working hard to find a new normal in Chicago. There are still boxes to be unpacked and endless home improvement projects, but we can usually lay hands on anything we need around the house. I'm filling the fridge and freezer with our favorite winter time foods (mass cooking happened last night! - 3 recipes of spaghetti sauce and 2 batches of chili prepped in one evening) and trying to find time to get to the local YMCA more regularly. We're also struggling to make a decision about which church to attend. I think we knew we'd have trouble with this one, but I honestly thought we would have sorted it out by now. Such a key area of our lives, and we both feel strongly about choosing the right church home. We'll get there...
Over Christmas, I read the book Velva Jean Learns to Drive and I can't believe how moved I was by this novel. I think I need to start up a book club just to discuss this one story. It made me rethink some of my old dreams... and encouraged me to creatively find time and energy to pursue them within this current life stage. A challenge to be sure, but everything seems possible in January, right?
Blessings to you and yours this new year.
6 comments:
Just crazy about those boys!
SO glad I got to see you and your men over the holidays. I wish we'd had hours more to spend.....
Also wish I could be there to join your book club!!
We closed on our house 4 months ago today. It has been a blur. I'm not surprised that you haven't had more time to post. Glad to see you back in the saddle though.
Oops. 4 months yesterday...
Don't worry, it takes a long while to find a new normal. And that settling into a church things has taken way linger than I expected and hoped as well. You will get there. Happy January. :)
Wish I could join in on that book club too- maybe there's an online book club??
It might be a haul...but you're always welcome in OP at our book club! We're meeting this Wednesday :)
Post a Comment